Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Car-Free CNU Journey Arrives in...

...in the City of Brotherly Love.

After a great Old Town Alexandria tour on Tuesday morning, John Acken and I took the DASH bus to the King St. Yellow Line Metro. Dropping Acken off at the Crystal City stop (with a hearty thanks for an excellent 24 Hour Urban Tour), I took the Red Line Metro to...

...Washington D.C.'s beautiful Union Station.

After a quick lunch, it was "All Aboard!" Amtrak's Acela train to Philadelphia.

The Acela Express is a great way to travel...comfortably-wide seats, work tables, electrical outlets and 1.5 hours from D.C. to Philly...

The Official Laptop of the Car-Free to CNU Philly Journey's first Acela train trip...a big day for this Dell...

...and here we now are at Philadelphia's equally beautiful train station...

Where Harvi Sahota and I prepare for the big CNU event (along with Anna Lowder who is the photog for this one)...

...now I do have a confession to make. The Official Suitcase for the Car-Free to CNU Philly trip did take a cab to the hotel. It was tired and really isn't into this car-free thing as much as the Official Laptop and me...

...of course, this is probably why.
You see when I asked the cab driver "Where is the Marriott?" his curt reply was "Down there!"
Well, I guess that's why we have feet...to use them...so off I headed on the one mile walk from the train station to the Marriott.
And, you know what? It was worth it. Because urbanism is best viewed from street level by foot...

Alright, I'm off to present on Implementing Form-Based Codes: A Montgomery Case Study. I'll be back later with the sights of CNU XV in Philadelphia...

No comments: